Thursday, January 19, 2012

Husbands love your wives - thank you Francis.

With horror and sadness over the past week we have witnessed the sinking of the mighty Costa Concordia. While it would be easy to focus on the cowardice of the captain who somehow "fell" into a life boat another man caught my eye and is worthy of praise, 71 year old Francis Servel. While he and his wife prepared to jump he gave his lifejacket to his wife. She survived and he was drowned. She said no doubt with tears, "I owe my life to him." I don't know of the late Francis knew anything of Ephesians 5 but he certainly lived it. Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her. I guess most of us husbands would like to think that we would do likewise for our darling wives even if we knew that death awaited.
How amazing to think then of the love of Jesus Christ for His bride. His bride wasn't very lovely, very undeserving, but so willingly He gave His life knowing that he would face not the horrors of the salty water but the horrific drowning in the waves of the Holy wrath of God. And He did it because He loved us.
The words hardly seem adequate, I owe my life to Him.

No comments: