Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tested By Fire, John Piper

Having read Piper's "The Roots of Endurance" I simply had to read "Tested By Fire" that I found on my eldest sons bookshelf. This book contains three more of Piper's excellent biographical sketches. In this volume Bunyan, Cowper and Brainerd get the Piper treatment. You always know if you have read a good biographical sketch when the writer makes you Amazon every biography that there has ever been written on the character. Such is the way with this marvellous book. One of the things that I love about these Piper biographies, apart from the helpful and practical way that they are written, is the way that they are set out - nice clear print, short digestable sections and cleverly crafted conclusions.
I am off now to Amazon the third volume in the series.