Monday, May 28, 2012

Am I Called

When my wife saw this on my desk she commented, "Isn't it a bit late to be reading that."  Am I called is written by Dave Harvey from the Sovereign Grace Ministries stable.  Anyone considering pastoral ministry needs to read this.  If Carl Trueman and Tim Challies write in support of it that is good enough for me.  The book comprises three main parts: Approaching the call; Diagnosing the call and Waiting.
Each of the 10 chapters is well written and flows in Harvey's unique and readable style.  As well as thorough Biblical reasoning for each point being discussed the author has also forwarded many of the chapters with biographical material from some of the giants of ministry.  For these notes alone the book is worth the read.  This is not a heavy read but a thought provoking and enjoyable one.  I wish I had had such a book 25 years ago as I struggled with my call to the ministry.  Reading this has confirmed to me - stick at it!
From now on this will be my standard text for giving to young men both to persuade and dissuade regarding gospel ministry.

No comments: