Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Pleasures of God. John Piper

The publishers state on the cover "voted one of the century's top 100 books by World Magazine." It would be easy with such a build up for a book then to be a real let down.  Thankfully it wasn't. In fact I think that this was the John Piper book that I enjoyed the most to date.  It was first published in 2001 and many of the themes in the book appear in his other volumes.  The book comprises 10 chapters:
The pleasure of God in His Son
The pleasure of God in all He does
The pleasure of God in His creation
The pleasure of God in His fame
The pleasure of God in election
The pleasure of God in bruising His Son
The pleasure of God in doing good to all who hope in Him
The pleasure of God in the prayers of the upright
The pleasure of God in personal obedience and public justice
The pleasure of God in concealing Himself to the wise and revealing Himself to infants
One of the many things that I enjoy about reading John Piper is that you have to think, but more than that, you have to pause to worship the living Lord.  Another factor by which I judge a book is how often I say during the read - I need to preach on this.  It is safe to say that this thought appeared as I read each chapter.
Thoroughly recommended.  Even for the appendix, "Are there two will in God?" it is worth the money

No comments: