Wednesday, March 08, 2006

So When Did I First Exist?

In early March a mother lost her bid in the courts to have children from embryos that she and her former fiance had frozen some time previously. The European Court of Human Rights rejected the mother's case that her human rights had been infringed by a British court which said her former fiancée was entitled to stop her using the embryos. The father's argument was that he did not want the financial or emotional burden of being a father to a child he would not bring up. Some issues on this case touch at the very heart of life. The fact is - this couple do have children - six in all. Yes they are in the very early stages of development and will not develop any more until removed from suspended annimation and implanted in their mother's womb. But already she is a mother and he the father of 6. More than the rights of a man or woman - what about the rights of the the tiny bundles of life which have all the information and potential of useful active human beings? What about their rights to reach full devlopment and be part of a warm and loving family unit as God designed human beings to be? Life according to the Bible does not begin on entrance into this world or some magical date along the pre birth calandar but at conception. David writes in Psalm 139 "For you created my inmost being. You knit me together in my mother's womb...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place...Your eyes saw my unformed body."
How sad our society that the voice of the unborn is so rarely championed. The minds of men and women so shaped by the opinions of the masses. Time again for another look at who I am and when I first came into being. Time again to think - so why do I exist at all. The message of the God of all the earth is quite simple - we exist to praise and glorify Him and we will only be truly happy when our lives are anchored firmly in Him through the finished work of Christ on the cross.

No comments: