Monday, December 24, 2012

Preaching the Psalms, McCann & Howell

Over the years I have noticed this book mentioned in various footnotes of other books on the psalms so thought that it might be worth a read. The book comprises three sections: Preaching the psalms - why? Preaching the psalms - how? Preaching the psalms - what?  While there were a few interesting comments here and there throughout the book over all it was a bit of a let down.  For me it was a "broadening my horizons read" as many of the people quoted would not be my usual favourite writers.  The main failing of the book in my opinion is missing the fundamental point that these songs of Zion are Christ's songs - His Spirit breathed them out, they are full of His person and work and He sang them.
Out of ten - I am afraid a humble 3.

No comments: